W. Bro. David John Winder, Grand Steward, Asst. Provincial Grand Master, RAMGR
On Thursday 21st December, David was called to Higher Service following a period Serious Illness.
On Friday 12th January 2024, 500 of his friends, former colleagues and brother freemasons gathered at St Paul's Church, Farington Moss, to support Susan and their family as David set off on his final journey.
Amongst those gathered were two Provincial Grand Masters, two Past Provincial Grand Masters, three Deputy Provincial Grand Masters, numerous Assistant Provincial Grand Masters and several local heads of other Orders. A retired Chief Constable of Police also attended and David's coffin was draped by the National Association of Retired Police Officers Coffin Drape, on which was proudly displayed David's White Topped Traffic Officers cap along with his Mark Provincial Assistant’s Chain of Office.
Dave even arranged for an articulated lorry to block the entrance to the Church before the hearse arrived, to test if we had all retained our traffic control skills!
During the ceremony, which was conducted by V. Rev'd Canon Godfrey Hirst, assisted by Fr. Matthew McMurry the incumbent at St Paul's, there were three eulogies covering Dave’s family life, his Police Career and his Masonic journey.
For those who were not able to attend the ‘Celebration of Dave’s Life’ , we have published each of those eulogies below:
Eulogy to David John Winder – Debbie Richardson (Winder)  12th January 2024
Thank you all for coming today to celebrate the life of David John Winder. My Dad would be blown away by the turn out, thank you so much for your love and support, it means the world to us.
David was born on the 17th of June 1958 to Delia and John Winder. He was born 5 weeks premature and weighed under 5lbs. He was the eldest of 3 boys and was blessed with his brothers Graham and John who he loved dearly.
His father John, worked as an engineer and sales rep for Esso petroleum. As such the family moved location quite often depending on his fathers work commitments.
This meant that Dad moved schools frequently and as a result had no long term childhood friends as most children would. Looking back at this time, Dad said this made him very resilient and stronger.
He attended Greenlands nursery school at Ribbleton, St Saviours primary school at Bamber Bridge, Walton le Dale high school before moving to Durnford high school in Middleton and finally William Temple at Fulwood. I can vividly remember Dad telling me how he left one school to go to another and he was 6 months behind on the curriculum. He had 6 months of learning to catch up on as well as trying to make new friends and adjust to a new school at such a young age. Once he left that school to go to another he was then 6 months ahead in the curriculum - go figure!
He loved to play sports, particularly football, badminton, cricket and of course golf! He was goal keeper for St Saviours that won the Preston Shield in 1968.
He played cricket for the Durnford high school team and was the 3rd batsman.
He took up golf at age 12 at Pike fold golf club in Manchester. Due to being a junior he could not play in the day, so practised like crazy and had a wonderful short hand as a result. It was thanks to his father that he was able to join, Grandad had joined specially as a full member, which was just brilliant of him.
At Fishwick golf club Dad won every board prize except the presidents and singles. He won the doubles on several occasions and at the time was the youngest ever winner of the captains prize aged 16 years old.
He left William Temple with 5 O' levels. At this age he hit a crossroads, he had the option of becoming a police cadet, a pro golfer and had several other job offers. He sought advice from his mother who advised him to become a police officer, a life of service to helping others was the way to go.
In September 1974, Dad became a police cadet. There were only 88 places and over 3,000 applicants so he was always grateful to have that opportunity. In his own words, Dad said he found this to be a huge culture shock as he had not lived away from home before and he was used to being molly coddled by his mum.
He continued to study subjects alongside being in the police, he had a real thirst for knowledge and loved to learn. He was always striving to reach his maximum potential.
He managed to earn 10 O' levels, 1 A-Level and 1 AS Level as well as wining the book prize of the year.
In 1976 he was a bobby on the beat at Blackpool south having completed his training. Uncle Dennis recalls being pulled over one day by a police bike whilst on a family trip out with the kids to Blackpool. The policeman was wearing a bike helmet and asked Uncle Dennis to wind down the window. The police man leaned in and said "what butties have you got?" It was Dad winding them up! 
In September 1977 my Dads life was forever changed when he met my beautiful mum. In his own words he said:
"I met my wonderful wife Sue at the Piper nightclub in Preston. I asked her to look after my drink whilst I went to the little boys room, prior to an act coming on." Now my Mum wasn't going to go that night as she was on earlys the day after but was persuaded by her friends Charlotte and Susan to go.
Dad sat next to mum and joked that the act was so terrible, if it had been on television at least they could have switched it off. They arranged to meet the next day outside of Fulwood police station. Mum nearly missed the date as being a nurse you could only leave when everything was done, not like now where you down tools at a set time, it was job and finish back then.
Dad took her to the windmill pub completely unaware of my mums love of windmills - it was the perfect date.
On the Sunday Dad picked mum up from work and took her for a drive to the trough of bowland where they went for a walk. It was a typical Dad style walk, off the beaten track, jumping over streams, so mum was full of mud. Then surprise, he had arranged for his mother and father to be there to meet my mum. Grandma could not wait to meet her sons girlfriend, who was the one.
Dad has mentioned to me on many occasions one of the first films they went to see at the ABC cinema in Preston was Superman with his youngest brother John. Mum had given her nurses cape to John so he could pretend to be superman as he was only about 7 years old. In front of them in the queue was a man smoking a pipe, as he lit his pipe, unfortunately his hair caught fire. The next thing they knew the man was ripping off his toupee and stamping out the flames.
Mum and Dad got engaged in the June the following year and married on the 21st June 1980 at St Andrews church in Leyland. They went on honeymoon to Minorca.
In 1980 Dad became a traffic officer at Preston constabulary for 9 years. 2 years in the car and 7 years on motorbikes.
Their first house together was at James street in Preston before moving to Lostock hall in December 1982. They have been there ever since with alot of the same neighbours for years. The whole street has grown together and seen the families grow as well.
In 1985 Dad became a father when I was born. My first word was car as we always used to go out in daddy's car. I have vivid memories of Dad coming home on his motorbike and him having saved a treat for me in the bike box at the back, usually an apple or a can of pop. He would let me sit on the bike with him as I rev'd the engine.
In 1989 he became an advanced driving instructor at motor driving school for car and motorbikes for 2 years. He also became a member of Preston golf club which continued for the rest of his life, he was a life long member.
He played golf for the constabulary team, which won the National team event 5 times in the 90's. He even sunk the winning putt on 2 occasions to ensure victory for the team.
In 1991 he became a father for the second time to my beautiful baby brother Jonathon. He was also promoted to police sergeant at Lea Preston.
He took up league midland badminton and worked his way up from division 10 to division 1. He won every division apart from the 1st with the team.
In 1993 he joined masonry thanks to his piano teacher Tom Holland who Dad described as "a lovely man and a true gentleman"
He learned to play the piano to grade 5/6, he was keen to follow in the footsteps of his Grandad who was a concert pianist.
He played golf through the masons and won the Preston masonic singles 5 times as the group event and the provincial main event once.
In the late 1990s he attended Uclan and attained a DMS Diploma in management studies. He completed this in his spare time whilst still working full time.
In 2001 he was promoted to Inspector at Preston Pace. I always used to sing the Inspector Gadget theme song to him before he went to work. I am blessed with my dads wonderful sense of humour.
In 2003 he was promoted once again to Inspector of Preston Comms and Pace where he was in charge of managing hundreds of people. He then retired from the police at age 48 and a half in 2006.
During his police career he had received numerous commendations from the chief constable.
The first for saving a life. Dad prevented the suicide of a potential jumper off Preston bus station. He had to climb outside of the building after a long dialogue. As he jumped Dad caught him by his clothing and pulled him up to safety.
The second was for bravery at Preston Market car park where he took a knife off a deranged man after he had stabbed and threatened others.
The third commendation was for problem solving within the Ingol community. This was the very first commendation given by the chief constable for problem solving.
He received an additional two commendations from the Chief Superintendent and the exemplary conduct and service award for all of his service.
After retirement he became busier than ever focusing on his hobbies, golf, fishing and driving. He became a member of the Farrington boat and Angling club. He enjoyed fishing off shore and off boat and had many trips to Wales and Scotland. Many times me and mum would be ready for him to arrive home with a car full of fish he had caught. We had a production line ready, mum wrapped them in individual bags and I wrote on what they were. I never could spell Gernard so I just wrote Bernard with a G, which of course Dad used to laugh at.
A huge love of his life was masonry, he absolutely loved it. He made so many life long friends through masonry and he was proud to be a member.
He spent time with his family, enjoyed holidays with family and friends. He absolutely loved being a Grandad to Alexander.

Unfortunately 6 months ago we lost my brother Jon. Just over 6 months ago I stood at a podium like this to speak about him. Never did I imagine that I would here again so soon but this time to speak about my wonderful Dad.

My Dad was a pillar of strength to us all when Jon passed, he was heartbroken but as always he found strength in the Lord and kept positive for us all.
A few weeks after Jon passed he injured his shoulder whilst gardening. We thought it was a rotary cuff tear, he had numerous visits to the Dr's and scans which showed nothing. The pain had got so unbearable he went to A&E in November where he was admitted to hospital for further tests. At the end of November he was diagnosed with cancer of an unknown primary as they couldn't find the source and as such could not cure it. My mum and I had the privilege of being with him in his last days and we were there holding his hand when he drew his last breath. He was positive right till the end and showed such strength, courage and faced the waves head on.
Words can't describe the void that he has left behind. We are so proud of him for all he has achieved in his life but by far, for us, his biggest achievement was being the best husband and the best Dad.
He worshipped the ground my mum walked on and as a child I dreamed I would find a man who loved me the way my Dad loved my mum. Theirs was a love so great, a partnership so strong and they had an unbreakable bond. They were each others best friend. My Dad wrote these words about my mum which I would like to share with you:
"My best friend, my wife Sue, simply wonderful. Words cannot express what she means to me. She is an angel on earth, just so thoughtful, loving and caring. Always there like a rock for me. In fact she is the foundation and bedrock of my world. I love her dearly."
I am so proud of all my Dad has achieved, he has had a wonderful life, filled with wonderful people and wonderful memories. He was the best Dad a girl could ever wish for and I know he was a father figure for others here today. He was reliable, strong, trustworthy and a great friend. He would drop everything to support those in their hour of need.
I love you Dad so much more than you will ever know, you mean the world to me. You were simply the best. You supported me in everything I did and I can't thank you enough for everything you have done for me. As Bett Midler sang "Did you ever know that you're my hero, you're everything I wish I could be," you have always been, "the wind beneath my wings." 
Goodnight and god bless Dad, I love you x
Eulogy to Dave Winder – Mike Pinckard – 12th January 2024
For those who don’t know me I am Mike Pinckard and I have been fortunate to have had the friendship of David and Sue for 32 years. Dave and I were both police officers and Freemasons.
I would like to share with you some of mine and others’ memories of Dave as a Police Officer and I know Dave would want this to be as light-hearted as possible.
I’ll start some 14 years into Dave’s police service, when we first became friends.
So it’s a beautiful sunny afternoon – about this time of year coincidentally.
I’m approaching my 30th birthday and I’m on my advanced driving course.
PC 258 David Winder is our instructor and we are getting towards the end of the course, and just about getting the hang of it - gaining a better understanding what David wants from us when we’re behind the wheel.
Having been for afternoon brew at Kendal police station, it’s my turn to drive.
We are heading back to Hutton to finish – 49 miles away down the M6.
We are in a 3 litre Vauxhall Senator rocket ship and there’s two other students in the back seats.
We enter the motorway and David says ‘Right Mick, to HQ as fast as the car will go!’
As I moved out to the third lane and buried the accelerator pedal in the floor, I looked in my mirror and the horror in the eyes of the back seat passengers was evident – I could smell their fear – at least that’s what I think the smell was.
David is sat there next to me as cool as a cucumber!
I won’t tell you what speed we were doing but David was quietly saying ‘come on Mick, it’ll go faster’ and theatrically pretending to check the handbrake wasn’t stuck on!
As we went through the cutting where the north and southbound carriageways split, an RAF Tornado fighter jet came towards us, north up the southbound carriageway at a closing speed of probably 700 to 800 miles per hour. All of us instinctively ducked as it passed over the roof of the car. It was probably at an altitude of 1000 feet but to us it felt like about 30 feet – Dave reckoned it was so close he could smell the Cornish Pasty in the pilot’s butty box!
We were only reminiscing about that on a journey in the car recently.
The advanced course requires you to commentate to the instructor about what you can see ahead, how that affects your use of the road and how you intend to deal with it. Inevitably, the stress of accurate forward observation whilst driving at high speed, to the police system of car control, means that you sometimes come out with utter rubbish.
Test day was my birthday! David got everyone on the course, including the instructors, to sign a birthday card for me and listed all the words of drivel I’d come out with in my commentaries throughout the course.
It was an act of spontaneous kindness and I’ve still got that card.
Dave was a brilliant instructor and that experience, together with the unique and inspirational way he taught, got us all through the course with first class passes, and set all of those he trained in good stead for fast and safe police driving during the remainder of our careers. Dave was a phenomenal driver – and was very competitive. If we happened to see the other motor driving school car on our travels, we were expected to overtake it.
Nigel Greenhalgh, Dave’s instructor on his car Instructors course, says he excelled on that course and went on to be a great friend and colleague. Frank Townley,another Motor Driving School instructor, echoed those feelings.
Dave began his police career in 1974 as a cadet and Gill Richmond has fond memories of working with Dave back then in control room, where, ironically, Dave also finished his career.
Dave’s first posting as a PC was at Blackpool South on foot patrol in 1977, where he remained for 9 years. Ian Stirling remembers him from that time as ‘one of life’s good guys – a compassionate and understanding person who would do anything for anyone.’ Phil Williams worked with Dave then too and remembers him as ‘a really funny guy and a great golfer. The whole shift at Blackpool South were invited to Dave and Sues wedding. Top Bloke who never changed throughout his career.’
From January 1986 Dave was based at Preston Traffic as a motorcyclist for nearly 4 years. He was an instinctive, fast and safe rider. I first met him on a motorcycle escort job for a cycle race, just before he went to Motor Driving School. I was covering a static point on a roundabout. A couple of cocky Chorley Traffic bikers (no names no pack drill) approached my location fast .They thought they were the bees knees - and quick riders, but David and Pete Farnworth overtook them on the inside of the roundabout like they were stood still - which secretly made my day.
His stint as an instructor at Motor Driving School started in late 1989. Whilst there Dave’s golfing prowess caught up with him.  This led to him being summoned to report to the Chief’s office. Thinking he was in ‘The DooDoo’ as he put it, he attended in best uniform. However, Brian Johnson simply handed him a brew and a request of Dave to teach the lovely Mrs Johnson to play Golf.
During the course of the golf coaching (no pun intended) the chief witnessed Dave’s lovely way with people, and recognised his ability as a bobby. He badgered him to take his promotion exams, which Dave then studied for during his remaining time at Motor Driving School.
Dave was promoted to Sergeant at Lea in 1993, where he was commended twice – once for bravely disarming a knife-wielding man on Preston market and once for a community liaison project in Ingol. Susan Rainford worked for him then and remembers Dave as ‘a top fellow and such a lovely kind man’ and Fred Orford, says ‘he was much more than just a boss – he was a friend  - and the best boss I ever worked for.’
Dave was a committed Freemason and, as was the theme of everything David did, he excelled at it and enjoyed it immensely.
While at Lea, due to certain pressures, Dave resigned from Freemasonry in order to concentrate on his aim to be promoted to Inspector. He then spent several stints as acting Inspector: at Fulwood and Lea, and at HQ in Human Resources and Community Race Relations depts. Dave became substantive inspector at Preston in 2001 - and promptly re-joined Freemasonry!
In 2005, Dave was transferred to HQ Control room from where he retired in 2006. Phil Davies has fond memories of working with Dave as one of the other communications room inspectors – Dave having trained Phil on his advanced car course some years earlier.
Dave served for 30 years, plus 3 years as a cadet, and was awarded the Long Service and Good Conduct medal in 1999, the Queens Jubilee medal in 2002 and he was commended 5 times in his service.
Dave was just a really nice bloke who was like a magnet to people.
He was humble and measured, yet very determined, with a good work ethic and a wicked sense of humour.
He would always be the first to ring if you’d done something well, but he would always tell you if you’d fallen short – and then offer advice on how to put it right. He was never afraid of being the person, who was prepared to say something - that needed to be said.
David was a superb friend to so many people and the epitome of what is expected of a man, a police officer and a mason. He was thinking of others right to the end.
Finally, I want to say something on behalf of David himself – about Sue, Debbie and the family. The love, care, patience and calm they surrounded David with during his final days made the ordeal so much easier for him to deal with. In spite of their own deep sadness and grief, they remained pragmatic and positive at the most difficult time. At absolutely no point did they make it about themselves. The comfort that gave to David will, I know, have been profound.
On the 21st of December 2023, a light went out, not just for David - but for all of us.
His passing leaves a hole in so many lives.
Rest in Peace Davey. We will miss you so much.
Eulogy to Dave Winder – Dave Randerson – 12th January 2024
Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth or more recently Integrity, Friendship, Respect and Service, it does not matter, Dave Winder embodied all those principles both as a man and Mason. From his initiation into Ribble Lodge 4558 on 27th October 1993 through to his final high office as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master in the Mark Degree.
To cover Dave’s 30 year Masonic journey in his many Lodges, Chapters and other Degrees would be an impossible task in the next few minutes. Suffice it to say that Dave Winder and Freemasonry were meant for each other and how he excelled!
From joining he soon embraced the ritual and became Worshipful Master of Ribble Lodge in 2001, followed in 2004 as Master of Setantia Lodge of Installed Masters and then Peace and Unity Lodge 314 in 2018, a lodge that was always very close to his heart and he held the members there in the highest regard.
He joined Ribble Chapter 4558 in March 1997 and was First Principal on 3 occasions as well as becoming First Principal of Setantia Chapter of First Principals in 2017.
Our paths first crossed in 2003 when I was a Provincial Steward and we were friends from day one. Our Masonic journeys were to follow similar directions. He became a Provincial Steward in the following year and was appointed to the high rank of Provincial Junior Grand Warden in 2008.
His many skills and capabilities had been spotted within the Preston Group and he took on the role of Group Secretary in 2006 and then became Vice Chairman in 2010.
He received his first Craft Grand Rank in 2012 and following the sad passing of Leon Tax he was appointed Assistant Provincial Grand Master for the Preston and South Fylde Groups in 2013. Although already well know in the Preston Group, when we spoke, he wondered how he might be received in the South Fylde where I was then Group Chairman and where Dave Winder was not so well known.
He need not have worried. His big personality, great sense of humour and total commitment to the role generated huge admiration and respect from all the members he looked after in both Groups.
Many here will have been recipients of the support, wise council, friendship, loyalty and that precious gift of time that Dave so willing gave and that in turn has made them better men and masons and I include myself amongst those. He could be firm when required, always gave his honest opinion but first and foremost that big comforting arm around the shoulders was there for any who needed it. He put others first, service before self one of his favourite  lines and he always delighted in seeing young Masons grow and progress.
His great sense of humour was always evident whether presiding over celebrations or attending a Lodge Installation. He would put everyone at ease and could hold a room with his well prepared oratory and passion, leaving the brethren feeling enlivened when he finished.
We had many, many laughs together and when I was appointed as an Assistant in Royal Arch later in 2013 Dave decided that as we were both carrying a little excess baggage around the midriff we should form an Assistants Tag Team - Sumo Daves. His phonecalls would often start with is Sumo Davey Boy there?
Further promotion for him followed in the Craft in 2014 when he was appointed to the high rank of Past Senior Grand Deacon and in the following year he received his first Chapter Grand Rank of Past Grand Standard Bearer.
He headed up the Provincial Halls Team but Charity was always very close to Dave’s heart and he was thrilled to be appointed as Vice President to lead the West Lancashire 2021 Festival on behalf of the Masonic Charitable Foundation. Like everything Dave did he took on the challenge with the same professional organisation and enthusiasm he gave everything. He created an excellent working relationship with the Foundation in London and he would travel anywhere around the Province with Phil Preston the Provincial Charity Steward to promote the Festival and help anyone who needed it.
As an Assistant he would also visit other Provinces and his reputation, easy demeanour and humour saw him make many new friends during those visits. Messages of condolence have come from far and wide, this country and abroad.

After six and half years he finished as an Assistant in 2019 but continued to complete his role as Vice President of the Festival to its successful conclusion of raising over £3.5 million.

Retirement though was not on the cards for Dave. In April 2009 he had been advanced in the Mark Degree joining Aeon Lodge 1312  becoming Worshipful Master in 2016. He joined the Allied Degree in 2011 and the Royal Ark Mariners in 2017.
You just could not keep a good and talented man down and he was appointed to Provincial Senior Grand Warden in 2020 serving for two years over the Covid period. In April last year he was wearing a chain once again becoming an Assistant Provincial Grand Master in the Mark Degree and in June he received his Grand Rank as a Grand Steward and only in December Grand Rank in Royal Ark Mariners.
Through his entire Masonic journey it was never just about him though, it was always Dave and Sue Winder. He often told me that without her love and support and that of the family he would never have been so fortunate as to achieve what he did, they were a true partnership!
During our time here on earth we may be lucky to meet maybe a handful of people who leave a lasting impression on us and this quote I feel is very appropriate:
What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments but what is woven into the lives of others - David John Winder did just that.
Today he has received his final promotion - promoted to everlasting glory.
He lived respected and died regretted - never to be forgotten. God Bless You Dave.